Spain vs. USWNT – International Friendly
Date: October 11, 2022
Venue: El Sadar Stadium; Pamplona, Spain
Broadcast Time: 2:30 p.m. ET / 8:30 p.m. local
Official Kickoff Time: 2:35 p.m. ET / 8:35 p.m. local
Starting XI vs. Spain: 18-Casey Murphy; 3-Alana Cook, 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (Capt.), 5-Hailie Mace, 6-Trinity Rodman, 10-Lindsey Horan (Capt.), 11-Sophia Smith, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 16-Rose Lavelle, 17-Andi Sullivan, 26-Carson Pickett
Available Subs: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 2-Ashley Sanchez, 7-Ashley Hatch, 8-Sofia Huerta, 12-Naomi Girma, 13-Alyssa Thompson, 14-Sam Coffey, 19-Crystal Dunn, 20-Jaelin Howell, 21-Aubrey Kingsbury, 22-Kristie Mewis, 25-Savannah DeMelo
- USWNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (Including this match): Sauerbrunn (210), Rapinoe (196), Horan (120), Lavelle (82), Sullivan (35), Smith (25), Cook (18), Murphy (10), Rodman (9), Mace (7), Pickett (2)
- Tuesday’s lineup features four different players from the Starting XI on Friday night at Wembley. Casey Murphy replaces Alyssa Naeher in goal while there are an additional three changes on the backline with Becky Sauerbrunn, Carson Pickett and Hailie Mace starting while Naomi Girma, Emily Fox and Sofia Huerta will begin on the bench.
- This starting lineup averages 64 caps per player with Sauerbrunn, Rapinoe and Horan the only players in the lineup with 100+ caps. Six players – Smith, Cook, Murphy, Rodman, Mace and Pickett – have fewer than 25 caps, including Murphy, Rodman, Mace and Pickett, who all enter the match with fewer than 10 caps under their belt.
- Becky Sauerbrunn returns to the starting lineup and will captain the squad as she earns her 210th career cap. Sauerbrunn, who came on late in the second half on Friday at Wembley, ranks ninth in USWNT history in both total caps and minutes played.
- Casey Murphy will earn her 10th career cap as she makes her eighth start of 2022. Murphy has seven career shutouts in her nine caps, the most recent of which came against Costa Rica in the semifinals of the Concacaf W Championship.
- Alana Cook will make her 14th start of the year as she earns her 18th cap overall with the USWNT. Cook leads the USA with 1,106 total minutes played in 2022 and has played the full 90 minutes in 10 of her 13 appearances so far this year.
- Lindsey Horan will make her 120th international appearance for the USWNT as she makes her 12th start of 2022. While not officially credited with an assist, Horan’s pressure helped force the England turnover which led to Sophia Smith’s goal on Friday against England. Since the start of 2020, Horan has played in 41 matches for the USA and has been directly involved in 22 goals – with 14 goals and eight assists.
- Rose Lavelle will make her 82nd international appearance as she makes her 13th start of 2022. Lavelle has been directly involved in 10 goals in the USA’s last 12 matches, tallying four goals – including the game-winning header on September 6 against Nigeria — and adding six assists during that span.
- Defender Hailie Mace will earn her seventh cap for the USWNT as she makes her second career start and first since October 7, 2018, when she started and played the full 90 minutes against Panama in the USA’s qualifying campaign for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Mace, who returned to the USA roster for the September International Window and appeared in both matches against Nigeria, will be making her fourth appearance for the USA in a span of six weeks after going nearly four years without a cap.
- Carson Pickett, who arrived in Spain on Sunday as an injury replacement for Emily Fox, will make her second international appearance and second start for the USWNT. Pickett, who was born without part of her left arm, is the first player with a limb difference to appear for the USWNT and played the full 90 minutes in her international debut against Colombia on June 28, 2022.
- Megan Rapinoe will earn her 196th career cap as she makes her third start of 2022 and makes back-to-back starts for the first time since the fall of 2021. Rapinoe, who assisted Rose Lavelle’s game-winning goal against Nigeria on Sept. 6, has 73 career assists, which is tied with Abby Wambach for third-most in USWNT history.
- Forward Trinity Rodman will make her second consecutive start – and the second overall of her career – as she earns her ninth career cap. Rodman, who has two goals in her first eight caps, made her first start for the USWNT on Friday at Wembley and appeared to have scored the equalizing goal in the 37th minute before VAR waved off the goal for offside in the buildup.
- Sophia Smith will make her team-high 15th start of the year as she earns 25th career cap. The 22-year-old Smith leads the USA in scoring with 10 goals on the year, including the lone USA goal on Friday night against England. Smith has a total of 11 goals through her first 24 caps. The only players in USWNT history with more goals through their first 25 caps are Michelle Akers (17), Christie Welsh (16), Abby Wambach (14), Christen Press (13), April Heinrichs (13) and Carin Jennings-Gabarra (12).
- Midfielder Andi Sullivan is set to earn her 35th cap as she makes her 13th appearance – and 13th start – of 2022. Sullivan is third on the team in total minutes played in 202 with 921 minutes of action and has gone the full 90 minutes in four of her last six appearances for the USWNT.
- Midfielder Savannah DeMelo is the only uncapped player on this roster. Should she see the field against Spain, she would become the 252nd woman to earn a cap for the USWNT and the eighth debutant of 2022.