The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there's plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Alvarez to Chelsea in winter?
The 24-year-old Mexico midfielder was keen to make the switch to Stamford Bridge on deadline day, but his move was blocked as Ajax looked to consolidate a squad that had already parted ways with several key players over the summer.
With moves such as Antony and Lisandro Martinez to Manchester United, Ryan Gravenberch to Bayern Munich, and Sebastien Haller to Borussia Dortmund, it would have created difficulty for manager Alfred Schreuder to balance Alvarez's potential departure and his squad depth.
ESPN revealed that the Blues had tabled a €50 million proposal for the El Tri star after identifying him as an alternative to Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong. However, with the Eredivisie transfer market closing one day earlier than in Europe's top leagues, Ajax would have been left unable to find a replacement for Alvarez.
It is understood that if Chelsea return to the negotiating table for Alvarez in January, he will be allowed to leave for London.
11.09 BST: Real Madrid didn't move for a centre-forward this summer because they weren't convinced by the available candidates, Marca reports, having been burnt in the past by the underwhelming performance of Mariano Diaz and Luka Jovic.
Jovic was the last expensive forward brought in as an intended alternative to Karim Benzema, signed from Eintracht Frankfurt for €60m in 2019, but left this summer having scored just three LaLiga goals.
Madrid considered Gabriel Jesus as a candidate this summer before he joined Arsenal, but had no room in the squad with Vinicius Junior, Rodrygo Goes and Eder Militao occupying their three non-European player spots.
According to Marca, Madrid will now begin to analyse potential targets with an eye to a move in January if deemed necessary -- by which time Vinicius' application for a Spanish passport should have been approved, opening up the possibility of bringing in a player from outside Europe.
10.22 BST: Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte said spending in the transfer window is a step in the right direction to improve their squad but there is still a gap between them and their Premier League rivals.
Spurs got their main business done early with Richarlison joining for an initial fee of £50m, Yves Bissouma from Brighton & Hove Albion for around £25m and Ivan Perisic on a free from Inter Milan. But they had a quiet transfer deadline day on Thursday.
"First of all we have to understand in this transfer window we did what the club could do," Conte told a news conference ahead of their Premier League game against Fulham on Saturday.
"We did good things but I have to be honest with you, because I see other squads of top teams, there's still too much distance. For this reason we have to know we have just started this process to improve the squad."
Conte said that Bissouma was still a step behind his fellow midfielders Rodrigo Bentancur and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.
"He needs to work, go totally into the idea of football," Conte said. "The same for Oliver Skipp working with me all of last season.
"I'm pleased with what I've seen during the game and we are talking about a player with good skills and strong physically with a good engine."
09.46 BST: PSV Eindhoven winger Cody Gakpo is in line for a new contract at the Eredivisie club following summer interest from Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Eindhovens Dagblad reports.
Sources told ESPN's Rob Dawson last month that United had registered their interest in the Netherlands international, although they did not lodge an official bid. Leeds United and Southampton were also chasing the 23-year-old, who PSV valued at £35m.
Gakpo is under contract at his boyhood club until 2026, and Eindhovens Dagblad reports that he will soon be offered a new deal that expires at the same time but with improved terms.
The club did not reveal the details of his contract but Greek media reported that the former Brazil international signed a one-year deal with an option for another year. He has also been registered to play in the Europa League campaign.
Marcelo, who made 546 appearances for Real Madrid since joining in 2007, left at the end of last season as the most decorated player in the club's 120-year history with 25 trophies -- including five Champions League titles.
The 34-year-old had dismissed retirement and wanted to continue playing in Europe instead of returning to Brazil.
Ένας αληθινός ΘΡΥΛΟΣ του ποδοσφαίρου στον ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟ! / A true football LEGEND joins OLYMPIACOS! 🔴⚪️ 🇧🇷September 2, 2022
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
- Bayern Munich are set to cool their interest in Harry Kane despite being interested in him during the summer transfer window, reveals Sky Sports Germany. It is reported that Julian Nagelsmann's side will see whether their current squad can achieve their season objectives without the 29-year-old Tottenham Hotspur and England forward. The Bundesliga champions parted ways with Robert Lewandowski over the summer, with the Polish star joining Barcelona.
- Newcastle United missed out on signing Everton's Anthony Gordon and Leicester City's James Maddison in the summer, but the team's board plans to be active in January, reports the Independent. The Magpies are understood to not be totally satisfied with their business throughout the transfer window despite a late £63m move for Alexander Isak, with the club believing that there are still some areas to address among the squad.
- Lucas Moura could be set to leave Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer next summer, according to Fabrizio Romano. It is reported that Antonio Conte's side decided to keep hold of the 30-year-old winger despite interest deadline day interest from Aston Villa and Newcastle United. The former Paris Saint-Germain star will be able to discuss a pre-contract agreement with clubs in January.
- Marseille are not prepared to lower their valuation for Bamba Dieng despite his exit falling through on two occasions on deadline day, writes Le 10 Sport. The 22-year-old forward was strongly linked with a move to Leeds United, but Nice then made a late approach that ultimately failed due to an issue during his medical. It is understood that Nice are interested in making another move for him in January, but they are looking to part ways with a lower fee than the €12m deal that was agreed.